Cape Peninsula University of Technology Dean
Deans of Faculties
|Dean of Applied Sciences
Prof Olalekan FatokiContact details
Tel: +27 21 460 3803
Office: Science Building, Room 3.11, Cape Town Campus
|Dean of Business and Management Sciences
Mr Willem Lotter (acting)Contact details
Tel: +27 21 460 3146
|Dean of Education and Social Sciences
Prof Thobeka MdaContact details
Tel: +27 21 680 1502
Office: Room 1.11., Mowbray Campus
|Dean of Engineering
Ass Prof Marshall Sheldon (acting)Contact details
Tel: +27 21 959 6757
Office: ABC Building, Second floor, Bellville Campus
|Dean of Health and Wellness Sciences
Prof Dhiro GihwalaContact details
Tel: +27 21 959 6218
Office: Science Building, Room E011, Bellville Campus
|Dean of Informatics and Design
Prof Johannes CronjèContact details
Tel: +27 21 469 1018
Office: Roeland Street Building
Cape Peninsula University of Technology Dean, The Cape Peninsula University of Technology was established on 1 January 2005, when the Cape Technikon and Peninsula Technikon merged. This merger was part of a national transformation process that transformed the higher education landscape in South Africa.
Today, this institution is the only university of technology in the Western Cape and is the largest university in the region, boasting more than 30 000 students, several campuses and service points and more than 70 programmes.
However, the institution has humble beginnings in the Cape Technikon and Peninsula Technikon, which dates back to the early 1900’s.
The Cape Technikon
Cape Peninsula University of Technology Dean, The Cape Technikon has its roots in the Cape Technical College, which was established in Longmarket Street in 1920. The establishment of the college followed more than ten years of petitioning by the community for the consolidation of technical courses that had been offered in various venues in Cape Town.
In the late 1960’s this institution had its status changed to a College for Advanced Technical Education and was renamed the Cape College for Advanced Technical Education. However, a decade later, the Technikons Act was promulgated and in 1976 the institution become known as the Cape Technikon and was allowed to offer degree programmes.
During the apartheid era, all educational institutions were forced to serve a specific race group. The institution offered courses for white students; however, in 1987 the makeup of the student population changed after the institution applied for and was granted permission to have the Government’s regulation lifted on the quota for black students.
The 1990’s would usher in a new era for the Cape Technikon. This institution launched its new organisational structure, which featured six faculties, a new corporate identity as well as a new vision and mission statement. In 2001 the Boland and Mowbray Education Colleges were incorporated into the Cape Technikon, forming the Faculty of Education at sites in Wellington and Mowbray.