Course Information and Fees
(Phasing OUT – Replaced by Diploma in Geomatics which started in 2023).
Only students who have previously studied this qualification will be allowed to register.
ND: (National Diploma)
Applicants should have an aptitude for Mathematics and Drawing, good spatial perception, and an eye for detail. An interest in computers and geography is strongly recommended.
Purpose and Rationale of the qualification
To collect, store and present spatial data with maps and in digital format. To design and produce maps.
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) technology is used to explore, visualise and analyse data. Computer-based systems bring advanced information management techniques to science, business and governments across the globe.
Prospective students will be interested in geography, computer science, maths, science, physics and information technology, have an aptitude for design, love variety, and working both indoors and outdoors.
For all Certificate, Diploma and National Diploma applications, consult the General admission requirements.
Some courses require students to submit additional information as part of their application.
For all Honours, Masters and Doctorate applications, consult the Postgraduate admission requirements.
- Ability to use a GIS tool in his professional everyday work.
- A basic understanding of computers, software, database management, data models and a knowledge of the fundamentals of GIScience, concepts and terminology.
- Ability to do spatial analysis and spatial modelling.
- A knowledge of mathematical modelling, simulation and numerical methods.
- An understanding of different application areas: physical, environmental, human/social decision making processes.
- Understanding of GIS software technology and knowledge of existing source data and data quality.
The ND Cartography (GISc) is accredited by South African Council for Professional and Technical Surveyors (PLATO). Graduates will comply with the academic requirements and may apply for registration as a Geographical Information Science Technician leading to Geographical Information Science Technologist.
The fees for 2023reflected below may be subject to change.
Please confirm the final fee amount by contacting the relevant Faculty Office or contact person as listed at the bottom of this page.