Course Information and Fees
(Phasing OUT – Replaced by Diploma in Geomatics which started in 2018).
Only students who have previously studied this qualification will be allowed to register.
ND: (National Diploma)
- Topographical surveying: determines the positions of natural and man-made features on the earth, and is used for planning and land development.
- Engineering surveying: the surveys required to control and monitor the building of roads, bridges, tunnels and structures.
- Photogrammetry: mapping from aerial photographs and compiling 3 dimensional digital terrain models of the earth.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS): spatial data acquisition, analysis and management.
- Cadastral surveying: marking property boundaries and relocating them.
- Hydrographic surveying: mapping of the seabed and coastlines.
Purpose and Rationale of the qualification
To be able to survey, collect and present spatial data in different forms, and set out and control positions of structures on the ground of basic engineering works.
For all Certificate, Diploma and National Diploma applications, consult the General admission requirements.
Some courses require students to submit additional information as part of their application.
For all Honours, Masters and Doctorate applications, consult the Postgraduate admission requirements.
The ND: Surveying is accredited by South African Council for Professional and Technical Surveyors (PLATO). Graduates will comply with the academic requirements for registration and may after completion of a trial survey apply for registration as a Survey Technician. After an additional three years, a person may apply to be registered as a Surveyor.
The fees for 2021reflected below may be subject to change.
Please confirm the final fee amount by contacting the relevant Faculty Office or contact person as listed at the bottom of this page.