CPUT Diploma In Interior Design Courses and Fees
Course Information and Fees
DIPLOMA IN INTERIOR DESIGN
This is a new qualification which will be offered as from January 2023 and it replaces the National Diploma in Interior Design.
The practice of interior design relates to architecture on the one hand and to industrial design on the other. The aim of the course is to develop awareness and skills ranging from design in building to furniture design and could be defined as the creative problem-solving process applied to the practical solution of three-dimensional problems, primarily within the environment of buildings. Interior Design is a multi-faceted profession and designers are skilled at assisting clients to realise their goals and create interior environments that are both functional and aesthetically attractive.
To develop a critical awareness and practical application of two- and specifically three-dimensional design principles; to create awareness of the commercial applications of design; to encourage understanding of the responsibility of the designer to society and the individual user; to draw on historical and contemporary studies in order to heighten design awareness; to provide the opportunity to acquire knowledge of the performance of materials and how they can be applied to construction; to develop the skills required to communicate the design intention.
The following employment opportunities are available:
- Interior design firms offering a professional consultancy service to clients, offer the opportunity to work towards a partnership, or with experience, to establish a practice;
- Shop-fitting firms providing a design and supply service for the installation of shop and office interiors;
- Retail groups planning their own interiors and employing shop-fitters on a contract basis for installation;
- Furniture manufacturers offering a contract or design and supply service;
- Interior design shops and suppliers of office furniture offering a design service;
- Architectural practices also employ interior design specialists as part of their design teams.
Graduates can register with the South African Institute for the Interior Design Professions (IID) as a candidate Junior Interior Designer, Interior Designer and Senior Interior Designer.
For all Certificate, Diploma and National Diploma applications, consult the General admission requirements.
Some courses require students to submit additional information as part of their application.
For all Honours, Masters and Doctorate applications, consult the Postgraduate admission requirements.
The fees for 2023 reflected below may be subject to change.
Please confirm the final fee amount by contacting the relevant Faculty Office or contact person as listed at the bottom of this page.